Monday, April 16, 2007

The Dangers of Nesting

Like any animal in preparation for the birth of its young, there is a nesting phase just prior to the arrival. I know it sounds a bit “hocus pocus” but ask any mother who has reached her 36th week and she will validate the realness of the “nesting” phenomenon. It truly is a primal instinct that is unavoidable.

Nesting is the uncontrollable urge to organize, create, and rearrange. Let me emphasize the “uncontrollable” part of this sentence. I have been in the “nesting” phase for the last week or so, but have been unable to act upon my instincts because of work and chasing Harper all evening. My main goal has been to get Harper’s clothes out of the nursery and into his new room and get all of the Harper’s baby clothes out and put them in the drawers in preparation for BB. But, in addition to that, I felt compelled to organize or at least talk about plans to organize and rearrange almost every other facet in our house. Matt would tell you that I only stopped shy of suggesting that we tear down our house and rebuild. Honestly, I was driving him nuts because I was going from room to room suggesting changes, enhancements, alterations and additions that needed to be done in the next week or so. He looked me straight in the eye and said “You are nesting aren’t you?” It hit me at that moment that it had nothing to do with the desire to make changes, it was that primal instinct of walking around in circles, plucking your feathers out and trying to create a nice comfy area for BB.

On Sunday, I was up to my elbows in baby clothes. I had somewhat organized Harper’s clothes as he grew by putting them in plastic Rubbermaid tubs by size. But, in my nesting phase, that wasn’t even good enough. I got every Rubbermaid tub out and went through each stitch of clothing and donated everything that I wasn’t going to use and refolded them to put back in their respective tub. Then I labeled each of the tubs on all 4 sides with the appropriate size. In addition, I recruited Matt’s brother Jake to come over and help Matt with rearranging furniture in both BB’s room and Harper’s room. I wanted them both to have a new feel. I am happy to say that if BB arrived tomorrow, almost everything is done. He would have clean clothes waiting for him and a comfy room (Although I do still have to wash the crib sheets – even though Harper only slept on them a few time in the last 4 months!)

Speaking of nesting, I oddly ended up in a bird store this weekend to look for a few items for the house (I told you my madness did not stop with the baby’s room). We have really been in the bird watching mode lately and I have been trying to attract yellow finches, unsuccessfully. So, I visited our local Bird/Outdoor store to get some ideas. In addition to exotic bird feeds, feeders and the like, they also sell neat yard trinkets, chimes, and books. So, I decided to look around. This is one of those stores where there is not a bare space available and almost too dangerous for a pregnant person to be in. The aisles are slim and the merchandise is jam packed. As I was browsing, something caught my eye on a bottom shelf. I bent down to take a look and gravity took control. I keep forgetting that I am packing 30 extra pounds in the front so my balance is really off! As I bent at the knees, I knew I wasn’t going to be able to hold my pose for long. Matter of fact, I knew I was going to fall flat onto the floor – I was just trying to think how I could fall to avoid every whirly gig, wind chime, glass mobile and yard art from falling on my head! I managed to swing my arms up and down a few times (probably looking like a bird myself) to maintain my balance just long enough to avoid falling into the indoor fish pond. When I finally hit the floor, I looked around to see if I had an audience. Luckily, I think only the store owner saw me. But, trust me, the look on his face was enough to say it all. I’m sure he was having visions of me going into labor on his store floor. But, I managed to dust myself off and the only thing that was broken was my ego! But, any pregnant woman will tell you that ego gets broken so many times during this stage that I am starting to get use to it!

My doctor’s appointment is tomorrow so we will know more about my progression. I am now in the weekly appointment stage and entering the “not so fun” stage of checkups without your clothes on. Ladies you will know exactly what I am talking about! I will write more as I know it – still no name but working on it!

No comments: