Saturday, January 12, 2008

Big Boy Potty Time

Over the last several months we have occasionally asked Harper if he would like to use the potty instead of his diaper and his response is always "Not Yet".  We figured we wouldn't pressure him since he is so much like his mother and pressure only makes him want to produce the opposite response.  I figure at some point sitting in your own pee and poo will become so uncomfortable that he will make the move to sit on the potty without our need to force him.  At 29 months, Harper has shown no interest in potty training.......UNTIL TONIGHT!

After his bath, he asked to go poo poo on the potty.  Without hesitation I took him to the bathroom thinking he was yanking my chain.  Much to my surprise, he sat there like a pro and was all calm and collected.  It's as if he had worked himself up to this moment - rehearsing the most important play of the game in his head prior to the big day.  Since many of you on the blog are not parents yet, I will spare the details and cut to the chase.   Tonight Harper decided to take care of business on the big boy potty.  As with most things that 2.5 year olds do, I will probably never understand what brought on his motivation.  But, he realized right away the power of relaxation that comes with quality reading material. We only had to read The 3 Little Pigs once and everything was done.  Mine and Matt's pride couldn't even hold a candle to how proud Harper was of himself (as the pictures below so accurately portray).  I guess I was the one who should have done a little rehearsing because after everything was said and done and we flushed, Harper looks at me and says "Mommy where does poo poo go when we flush it?".......  Uh....Where does it go?  I thought I had come up with some good answers for many of the anticipated "kid" questions but this was one time that I was completely stumped.  The only thing that came out of my mouth was - "Probably to a river."  Great - now he will never want to swim in a river in his whole life.  What was I thinking....what was I suppose to say????  Honestly, what kind of cool imaginary, creative place exists for poop?

Proud Yet Humble


The "Eat My Shorts" - Olympic Gold Medal Look that Harper seems more comfortable doing!

No comments: