Wednesday, October 11, 2006

1st Appointment

Yesterday Matt and I had our first doctor's appointment for baby #2. It felt a little routine since we have been here before (and not so long ago!). We actually decided to change doctors because we would like to deliver at the University of Utah this time. Since Dr. Brown (Harper's doc) does not deliver at the U, we switched to an new OB - Dr. Howard Sharp. We both really liked him. He is young and very detailed with his questions and answers. Interestingly enough, I heard about Dr. Sharp through the nurse who is overseeing my graduate thesis project at the U. His clinic is one of the 3 clinics who is handing out my survey for research. (Contrary to popular belief - I am still working on my thesis!)

So, I did take the opportunity to let him know that he needs to make sure his staff is handing out and collecting my survey so that I can graduate before baby #2 arrives.

Although we really liked Dr. Sharp, we were quite disappointed with the amount of time that we had to wait at the clinic. My appointment was at 10:30am and we didn't even get to see the doctor until about 11:45. If you know me, you know my patience level is null and void. So, I have to come up with a game plan to make sure I get those early morning appointments.

I hate to report that I am actually going into this preganancy 7.8 pounds heavier than when I had Harper. I guess those last few pounds have stuck with me! After peeing in a cup and going through a bunch of questions about family history, past pregnancy / delivery, and expectations I had to experience the yucky EXAM! Dr. Sharp confirmed that everything is progressing very normally and that I am 9 weeks along today! He tried to listen for the heart beat but it was too faint (or maybe those extra 7.8 pounds wouldn't allow the sound to penetrate to the microphone). So, we will be going back in about 3 weeks to revisit Dr. Sharp and hear the first heartbeat.

I am still feeling pretty well - although very tired. I have been going to bed with Harper every night at about 8:30am. I am looking forward to my burst of energy during the 2nd trimester. I'm sure Matt is as well, because he has been picking up the slack alot lately with house chores! I haven't had any morning sickness or weird cravings yet - although my sense of smell is very keen these days.

As time progresses, I'll try to put a new posting up weekly. But, at this stage in the pregnancy there isn't much to report. I guess I did fail to mention that today is the first day that I have had to officially unbutton my pants so that I could breathe. This is much earlier than Harper - but I guess I can once again blame it on the extra 7.8 pounds!

Until next time.....

No comments: