Monday, October 23, 2006

Thinking for Two....

Week 11 and to the naked eye, I don't look pregnant yet but mentally I'm just not all there! I really knew that all my neurons weren't firing (or maybe they are working overtime) when I bought a few new maternity items at Motherhood Maternity this past week.

First off, let me say that buying maternity clothes is not anywhere close to my favorite thing to do. To be honest it takes the fun right out of shopping! But, in preperation for my expanding tummy, I like to try to buy a few things before I need them, rather than waking up in a panic one day and not having anything to wear. (Trust me, that does happen mysteriously... I swear!) Really I am just trying to avoid the emotional turmoil that this would cause me and those around me! Since most of my maternity clothes from Harper's birth were more summer in nature, I thought I would try to get a few pairs of pants and some long sleeve shirts.

Thank goodness we have more choices than our mother's did, but there is still something icky about walking in a store where all of the pants have a large stretchy band of material where a button and zipper should go and on occasion there is even a drawstring for added convenience! And for some reason, most of the materntiy industry is about 3-5 years behind in fashion concepts - so, the majority of the things in the store just don't have that "buy-me" appeal!

Anyway, I had picked up a couple of shirts the week before at Macy's and I thought I would check the selection at Motherhood for a few items. As I was browsing the limited selection in the very narrow aisles, a red shirt caught my eye. I thought "hey that looks like a nice shirt and something I would wear." So, I had the nice lady get it off the rack for me. Oh, that is the other thing about Motherhood - there is a whole row of clothing that hangs about 6 1/2 feet from the floor and totally unreachable for someone short like me! It makes you wonder if they enjoy watching pregnat ladies navigate the narrow aisles knocking things off with their bellys and then jumping up and down trying to reach the "top shelf" items!

So when the sales lady handed me the shirt in my size, I decided to buy it along with a pair of jeans and another black shirt. I was proud of my new purchases and headed out of the mall - walking by the windows of all of my favorite stores like Ann Taylor, Banana Republic and Nordie's just envying the new fall fashions.

When I got home, I went to compare my Motherhood purchases with the stuff that I had bought at Macy's the week before and I could not believe my eyes! I had bought that same red shirt at Macy's the week before that I had just bought from Motherhood! I thought - am I going completely crazy? - how could I have done that?! But, I remembered to give myself some slack because after all I am now using one single brain for two people!

I quickly returned my red shirt to Motherhood and exchanged it for something that I didn't already have (at least to my memory!). I was glad that it wasn't a sale item because Motherhood has some really weird return policies - 10 days to exchange anything new and your just SOL (shit out of luck - mom)if it is a sale item. No money back....ever! I guess I will need to carry an inventory of my clothing as I am shopping in the future for extra protection.

So, as you go about your daily tasks this week and forget some minute detail, remember all of us pregnant ladies whose brains are working overtime to just get the small tasks like clothing ourselves done and appreciate your little moments of insanity!

Until next time....

p.s. You might notice at the top of my blog there is now some room for advertising. I am trying this blog feature out - so, feel free to click on the ads and generate me some extra money. Supposedly, you get paid for every click that someone makes on the ads. I must apologize to all the men and those who could care less about pregnancy topics because I have no say in what gets posted as an ad. I guess google just sells ad space based on the topic of your blog - so of course, mine are about fetal dopplers, planning your conceivement date and other topics that you don't generally talk about at dinner. So click away and help pay for the kid's college!

No comments: