Monday, January 08, 2007

Half Way There

I can’t believe my pregnancy is more than half way over. I am going into my 22nd week and I have gained 7 lbs total. On my last appointment (Friday) I had gained 4 pounds from the previous month. Pretty good for the holidays. I’m starting to wonder if their scales are incorrect because I swear I have been eating LOTS! I haven’t been holding back one bit.

Sorry I haven’t posted for the last couple of weeks but things have been very hectic with the holidays (as all of you probably can attest). Plus, I started my new job and I have been so tired – too much thinking and learning for a 5 month pregnant lady . I have begun to settle into my new position and my tummy is really growing. So even if I wanted to hide the fact that I’m having another, there is no way of doing it! On top of that, once you tell a few key people the news, it spreads like wildfire. I am now completely out of my “normal” clothes and fully into my maternity wardrobe. So, unlike the days of having tons to choose from in my closet, I now just pick between a few items. It really doesn’t make for any excitement in the mornings – but, at least there isn’t much debate about what to wear.

I only have one more monthly appointment and then I start going to the doctor every other week. On January 31st, I will be having another ultrasound. I guess during my previous one, BB was moving around way too much and they were unable to get the measurements they needed for his spine, stomach and heart. Of course the doctor says everything appears to be fine – he has a strong heart beat and his movements are VERY energetic – but it still gives you something to worry about.

Other than that, things are moving along well. I still have heartburn – I have even progressed to popping TUMS before lunch rather than waiting until after I eat. I still have a bit of carpal tunnel and sleeping on my back is nearly impossible because I wake up feeling like what a caveman must have felt like – it takes me several minutes to straighten upright and walk. Food is still the most important thought of my day and I occasionally have a few crying episodes when things don’t go my way – all very common symptoms at this point.

Matt and I have started the tedious task of picking out a name – maybe more me than Matt. Of course I have been scouring through name list after name list and writing down all the names that I like. I read them to Matt and he usually says “NO WAY” more than “YES” or “MAYBE” - I keep telling him that he needs to make a list too but he still feels we have plenty of time…. typical guy! We both wonder what the protocol is for stealing a name of someone that you barely know. We really like the name of a little boy in Harper’s daycare class but know that if we use it, it is going to be obvious we didn’t think of it on our own. It is just unique enough that we could be labeled as thieves. I keep thinking it should be a complement to the mother but you never know about people’s personalities. Some people act as if they have taken a patent out on a name and it can’t be used by anyone else. So, it remains on the “Yes” list as we continue to research what our obligations are to those we don’t even really know (just kidding about this part).

Well, I hope the new year has brought each of you good cheer and you haven’t broken too many of your resolutions. I decided not to make any resolutions this year because I figured I already had too much on my plate and didn’t want to give myself anything more to be stressed about….. although I really need to get cracking on that thesis!

No comments: