Tuesday, November 14, 2006

A Brand New Day

Today I broke down and pulled out my stretchy band pants. As any pregnant woman will tell you this is a moment that you approach with trepidation and you sort of dread for some reason. The stretcy band pants just don't have that "sexy" feeling or allure to want to buy multiple pairs in all different colors like my Ann Taylor pants do. But, for the second time, I have asked myself - "What the hell was I putting this moment off for?"

Today is a brand new day - I feel like my thoughts are clearer and I have been whistling continuously (probably because I have more air flow to my brain now!). It feels wonderful to finally bend down and not have to be thinking "are my pants going to split right up the seam? or will my button fly off and knock someone's eye out?". Not today... I'm relishing that I can move with ease, that I won't have to worry that the imprint of both my button and my zipper will be apparent on my stomach for over an hour after taking my work pants off for the evening and most of all I can BREATHE!

This is true "Women's Liberation". Maybe we should all start campaigning for the fashion industry to start putting elastic in everything. Could you imagine how the attitude of all women would change across America if this was an accepted, Oprah approved means of dressing ourselves. I don't think we have seen such a thing since nylons were no longer required in the workplace. Take a moment and ponder the benefits:

1. The lines in the restroom would be much shorter because half the time in the stall is buttoning the five or so buttons that are now on most dress pants.

2. Shopping would be much simpler because we would no longer have to stress about being a 8 in one brand and a 10 in another. You will now just have to ask for S, M, L - just like you are shopping for pj's.

3. You would no longer be overwhelmed by guilt when you have eaten the 3rd piece of chocolate because you would be rid of your buttoned up, cinching waistband that is completely cutting off the oxygen to your brain.

I know there are more but this brain is working overtime. So, at least for now, I am voting for stretchy band pants - get on the band wagon with me!

As for the pregnancy - things are progressing. It will be no time before people will be able to tell. I can already hear the whispers at the water cooler of people who are wondering if I have been dipping in their candy dishes too many times or if I have a bun in the oven. Truthfully the answer is both!

Matt, Harper and I are heading back to VA and TN for the Thanksgiving holiday. We are looking forward to seeing the Collier family but dreading the plane trip now that Harper has developed curiosity, attitude and the freedom to get around on his own - not to mention his ability to throw a tantrum at the most inconvenient moment. But, maybe it will make the time pass by quicker!

Until next time.....

No comments: