Tuesday, November 21, 2006

A Swift Kick to the Gut!

Week 15 and the only thing exciting that has happened is that I felt BB move for the first time yesterday. That is one week earlier than I felt Harper move. Unfortunately I couldn’t really soak in the moment for too long because I was in the middle of a traffic jam rushing to get on the University of Utah campus to pick up my thesis edits from my professor before she left to go on Thanksgiving holiday.

But, if that move is any indication of what activity is yet to occur, I am in big trouble. I remember Harper’s first move as a flutter or a little fish swimming in my tummy. But BB’s move yesterday was a full on somersault with a karate kick to the lower gut. It makes me wonder if I have samurai instead of a 4 inch fetus growing inside of me. All I can think of is how my back is going to hurt over the next several months.

I am copying the link from babycenter.com of how BB is progressing at 15 weeks:

http://www.babycenter.com/general/1498247.html

Remember mom this is not an actual sonogram photo of our baby, instead it is a cartoon mock-up of anyone’s baby at this time – just a friendly reminderJ).

I have to admit this pregnancy is similar in some ways to Harper’s but it is very different in some ways too. I thought I would point out some of those similarities and differences that I have noticed thus far:

How is it similar?

Once again I am switching jobs at the 4 month pregnant mark. I recently got a promotion to an HR Manager position. This will keep me at my same company but I will move back to our health plan entity where I have so many friends. There is nothing better than starting a new job, working 5 months, then taking 3 months off. I hope senior management isn’t picking up on any patterns. I really plan for this to be the last baby – I don’t want to be known around the company as the gal who is pregnant every time she lands a promotion.

Carpal tunnel – enough said!

An insane need to complete home projects – with Harper’s pregnancy, Matt and I moved into our house, had the kitchen ripped out, and every wall repainted – all while trying to live in the gigantic mess. This time around we pulled up the carpet in the dining room, living room, hallway, and foyer and had our floors refinished and base boards repainted. Once again living among a mess – but at least this time around we could escape to Matt’s parents house for a delicious dinner and a clean house alternative while things were at their worst. Now, we have decided to have all the windows in our house replaced. What is it with pregnancy and the insatiable need to make changes???

We are just as excited to add another one to the bunch!

How is it different?

Cravings for weird combinations are strong and loud. On Saturday night I had 4 pickles and a popsicle before going to bed. To say the least I needed TUMS by midnight!

Although I haven’t experienced morning sickness, I have experienced a great deal of upset tummy – to the point that I am popping TUMS by the hand full. Even when things sound really good to eat, they just don’t settle well. I hope this is not a sign that BB is going to be a picky eater. My stomach was never upset with Harper and that child will eat most anything!

I am getting headaches more but this might be due to Harper’s constant begging for me to read/sing Hokey Pokey Elmo for the 20th time each night in combination with some left over fumes from having our floors refinished and our baseboards repainted!

I have very, very little PTO (paid time off) his time around. When Harper was born I took 12 weeks with full pay. I was really getting use to not working but still having a full check every other week. But, this time around we are going to have to save, save, save so we aren’t stressed and poor when BB comes along!

We have most everything we need for a new little one. Matter of fact, we have a crib that is like brand new because Harper likes to curl up to mommy and daddy instead of stretching out in a bed all his own.

Instead of one butt to diaper, one mouth to feed, and one baby to bathe we are going to have 2! I guess we will both have our hands full now – There will be no more, “you watch Harper while I do this”…. Instead, it will be “you take Harper and I will take BB and we can both be stressed while we try to multi-task”. But, a full house is a happy house… at least that is what my mom always said!

So, in ending you can see that at this point the differences outweigh the similarities. If I believe the “wive’s tales” and the unsolicited advice from other mothers, the prediction would be that the sex of the baby is different than the first. Could it be a girl? Matt thinks that the Brace genes heavily outweigh the possibility that this could happen…. But, we will find out in 3-4 more weeks.

So, until next time – eat tons of Turkey, stuffing and desserts and be thankful that you don’t have to follow it up with a handful of TUMS!

No comments: