Friday, December 01, 2006

Where Did All That Turkey Go?




Our third doctor’s appointment was this morning and we are officially at week 16 (to view this week's progress, click here http://www.babycenter.com/general/1498248.html ).

All is well and we now have our ultrasound appointment to find out the baby’s sex on December 14th. Although we did have to wait for about ½ hour for Dr. Sharp to arrive for my early morning appointment, the visit itself was the shortest on record. I think we were only in with the doc for about 8 minutes.

Amazingly enough, I only gained 1 pound from my last appointment. Yes, you read it right, ONE POUND! Even Dr. Sharp was impressed that I made it through the holidays with so little weight gain. To be honest, I think I have gained more than this through previous holidays when I wasn’t pregnant. Now I regret not going for that 2nd piece of mom’s pumpkin roll!

We also heard BB’s heart rate right away today – it was 159 beats per minute. My sister, Lorie, thinks it is a girl – along with all of my family back in Wise (although I think my dad might secretly be hoping for another boy so that he can build his own “club” of fun and begin vetoing the girls who always want to go shopping).

Basically that was the gist of the appointment! All is progressing well.

Now to recap our Thanksgiving… we did have a wonderful time visiting my family back in VA and TN. Although we did have an epiphany that traveling with 2 is going to be LOADS of fun (are you picking up on the sarcasm?)! Harper has now gotten so big that when he falls asleep on the plane he can no longer just nap in my lap – he has to take up both mine AND Matt’s laps! I wish I had the same lack of inhibition that he has because let me tell you he sprawls out like he is in our king size bed – arms and legs everywhere. So, to say the least, Matt and I don’t get very much rest on the plane trip.

I made a mental note of things to do and not do when traveling with a little one (and soon to be 2 little ones):

· Never wear black – I made this mistake and by the time I arrived at our destination I was covered in snot on my shoulder because Harper insisted on wiping his nose there and I had remnants of Goldfish crackers all over me because Harper sneezed 2 times while he had his mouth full of crackers. Does he give me any warning…. NO!

· Buy a cheap stroller – As with all of our previous trips we have taken our nice Peg stroller and have not had any bad luck. But this time we arrive in Atlanta on our trip out and discover that our stroller now only has one handle. The guy who delivered it was oblivious when I pointed it out – as if he didn’t notice that one was missing. So, we are now walking around with the ghetto stroller with a missing handle. Delta did say that would pay for the repair but they were quick to say that we needed to handle all of the legwork and just submit receipts. I just hope we get reimbursed before Harper goes to kindergarten.

· Watch what you teach your kids because they are sure to repeat in public – For the past couple of weeks Harper has only been letting me wipe his runny nose if I show him what is on the tissue and then say “Ooh Harper look yucky boogies – let’s clean them off”. So much to our surprise, Harper has learned to repeat. For about 15-20 minutes on one of the plane rides Harper kept wiping his nose and in his very loud toddler voice he says “Ooh boogie” and keeps showing me over and over and over. I know everyone around us must have thought we do this for entertainment.

· When your child is fussy don’t visit one of the airplane stores where they sell Elmo dolls – Yes, we have fallen prey to the crazy hold that Elmo places on young children and yes, we did break down and buy him a stuffed Elmo in the airport that was marked up by about 50 percent more than other non-airport stores. Now, we have the doll and the Hokey Pokey Elmo book!

Although the plane ride was sometimes a challenge, Harper did great over all. Once we arrived at my parent’s house we couldn’t keep him out of the barn. I think Harper would have slept with the animals if we had let him. My parents now have 5 miniature ponies, 2 Chinese pheasants and about 10 bunnies with a litter of 6 that were born a week before we arrived. You would have thought Harper had been raised on a farm by the way he was getting around in the barn so comfortably. He fed all the animals, petted them and bossed them around like he did this stuff everyday. I think we averaged about 8 to 10 trips to the barn a day – thank goodness the weather was about 70 degrees. I guess he has a little bit of country in him after all – which is exactly what my parents love. We almost had to watch dad more than Harper because he would be off riding the tractor with him, letting him ride the horsies and just doing all the fun boy stuff that dad never got to do with us. I guess I will only begin to worry when he pulls out the guns! I have included some pictures from the trip.

Well that’s it for now – I’ll write more in 2 weeks when we find out if BB is a boy or girl….. Any bets?

No comments: